Thursday, January 29, 2015

Spotted Dove


Bad weather which restricted me to balcony birding, introduced me to a very familiar bird- the Spotted dove ( Spilopelia chinensis). A very common Indian bird, it was present here too. It apparently is more or less an invasive species in Australia now and was introduced hered in the 1860's . It has since replaced many local dove species. One behavioral difference I noticed between the Indian and the Australian dove was its boldness. The Indian spotted dove, I find is very shy and extremely wary of human presence. The one's in the Australian neighborhood were quite friendly and bold and did not mind approaching me closely.  In Asia, the bird prefers, farmlands and scrub-land, whereas in Australia it is more or less and Urban bird (probably because lack of proper food).

No comments:

Post a Comment